CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
FOR LAWYERS & FIRMS
Avvy.Pro is a platform developed by the team at Standpoint, purpose built to:
- Give professionals and firms a method to continuously manage and improve professional performance through an intelligent CPD planning system, and,
- Provide professional organizations such as Bars and regulators a solid addition to their value proposition and ability to better fulfill the needs of the jurisdiction’s lawyers.
This isn’t another practice management tool – think of it more as a ‘Fitbit for professionals’.
AvvyPro focuses on professional objectives and CPD across a number of critical practice areas including communication, professional responsibility and ethics, and office systems.
The platform delivers value in three ways:
- Delivers lawyers a personalized CPD resource list from AvvyPro’s online resource library, curated from the results of an interactive professional self-assessment,
- Allows bars and regulators to customize the online resource library with jurisdiction specific resources, and,
- Provides Bars and regulators evidence-based insights and reporting through anonymized reporting on the aggregate needs of the jurisdiction’s lawyers.
HOW IT WORKS
Avvy.Pro is a platform for continuous professional improvement, serving the needs of Bars, regulators, and the legal professionals they support.
Lawyers and firms complete a self-assessment designed specifically for legal professionals. The output of that process delivers them a dashboard with the assessment materials for reference, and a personally curated list of CDP resources focused on their areas of need. The list is dynamic, continuously updating as new resources are added to the resource library, and each time they update a section in the assessment.
Bars and regulators benefit from unbiased, 3rd party insights via anonymized aggregate reporting on the jurisdiction’s lawyers. This reporting provides a valuable perspective of the needs of the profession, and gives Professionalism Committees, CLE and practice support teams the evidence-based support they require to create new programs and resources targeting those needs directly.
Providing tools and programs to lawyers in the jurisdiction has never been easier. AvvyPro’s off the shelf apps deliver most of the materials required for self-assessments and other professionalism programs, all hosted on a secure, state-of-the-art delivery platform.
Bars and regulators can customize the self-assessment content to their requirements, and populate the CPD library with localized expertise and resources. This maximizes the utility and relevance of the platform, increasing engagement and getting the right things into practice.
Programs are published via a single, dedicated link; no PDFs, no Word document attachments. As program materials evolve over time, lawyers always have access to up-to-date material whenever they click the link.
There are two general modes of operation on the platform:
- Proactive mode (1:n), for jurisdiction-wide proactive initiatives such as PMBR, Entity Regulation or other jurisdiction wide programs where Bars and regulators seek to better understand the needs of the lawyer population at large and support them with relevant resources,
- Reactive mode (1:1), for mandatory self-assessments and audits required as a result of a practice review or regulatory discipline process.
Proactive programs published to entire memberships are 100% anonymous, and data collected and reviewed by the individual lawyer or firm is never shared with anyone. Bars and regulators can receive anonymized, aggregated reporting, providing valuable insights into the needs and requirements of the membership at large, to help inform program and resource development.
Do self-assessments improve professional performance and reduce complaints against lawyers and firms?
There is mounting evidence to suggest that the answer is ‘yes.’ We’ve analyzed available reports and data from legal regulators from around the world, and the overwhelming indication is that professionals with increased self-awareness — the outcome of a well structured self-assessment process — make greater efforts to track and improve the gaps they discover in their professional performance.
Increased professional self-awareness provides many other benefits, including:
- Avoiding pitfalls and improving competitive advantage, by leveraging objective feedback on strengths and weaknesses.
- Better decision-making skills. Knowing who you are as a professional leads to stronger intuition, better judgement, and to increased confidence in decisions.
- Lower stress. It’s difficult to cope with poor results when you don’t understand what causes them.
- Stronger motivation. Professional self-awareness is empowering, because knowing where you are and where you want to be, and by seeing a pathway to get there, makes all the difference in staying focused and motivated.